Raffaele Belardi wrote:
> I use the 'local' service to force the ignore_nice_load parameter to 0:
>
> # cat /etc/conf.d/local.start
> echo 0 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/odemand/ignore_nice_load
> (not sure about the path, I am on another pc now)
>
> Recently I noticed that ignore_nice_load is still set to default 1
> value, although the 'local' service apparently was started:
> # /etc/init.d/local start
> * WARNING:  local has already been started.
>
> If I source the local.start from the shell, the value is correctly set.
> Any ideas why the the ignore_nice_load is not set to the value I want at
> boot?

I found the reason for this behavior: gnome-power-manager was resetting
that parameter, there is one field "consider_nice" under the "cpufreq"
options that overrides the setting defined by 'local' service. Not very
nice way to proceed, in my opinion.

Too bad now I have a similar problem with hdparm service, I set two out
of three disks to standby mode (-S 12) with 'hdparm' service, but as
soon as Gnome starts the setting is ignored or overwritten. I have to
issue again the hdparm command from a root shell to make it effective
within Gnome. I've not yet found which Gnome option could influence this
behavior.

raf