Beso <givemesug...@gmail.com> posted
d257c3560901221103l4f11f220mc9f2b7598f7c3...@mail.gmail.com, excerpted
below, on  Thu, 22 Jan 2009 20:03:55 +0100:

> as for the / i'm considering using / + /boot on a usb disk (nowadays
> booting from usb devices is no pain) and would prevent me from
> exposing ciphered luks data. it's true that loosing the key would
> mean a total disaster, but it's simpler to have 2-3 2gb usb keys (which
> mean about 20-30€) as root and have an entire luks+raided partition.

Something I found out the hard way, and why I have everything that
portage touches on the same partition, is the trouble one goes thru when
the /var/db/pkg database doesn't match what's actually installed, due to
say /, /usr, and /var being on different partitions/volumes, then losing
one and having to revert to a backup, while still having the others at
"current".

So here, that's all on the same partition.  I break off /usr/src,
/usr/local and /var/log, and have the Gentoo tree living somewhere other
than on /usr as well, but anything that portage touches including its
database is all on the same partition, so it all stays in sync if I have
to revert to a backup.

When I setup this system, since / and its backup are not in LVM, I wanted
to give them even more room for growth than I thought I'd need, so I
doubled what I was using for growth, and then nearly doubled that again,
10 gig partition size.  I currently have both kde3 and kde4 installed so
am running rather more than I would otherwise, but I'm running 4.3 gig
on /.  So a 4 gig USB stick would do it in most cases, an 8-gig stick
would be plenty and to spare, but a 2 gig stick wouldn't cut it.

Not that anyone else necessarily needs to use my "everything portage
touches on one partition" strategy, but I certainly learned /my/ lesson,
and don't intend on screwing /that/ one up here again.  It's worth
considering, anyway.  YMMV.