On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 3:38 AM, Richard Freeman <ri...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> Paul Hartman wrote:
>>
>> Should be as simple as copying the data files over to wherever they
>> are stored for your user account, changing owner, and then opening it
>> with the vmware GUI.
>>

> Yup.  Although I thought that vmware stuck all VMs in /var/lib/vmware
> regardless of who created them.  Granted, I've been using v2 for long enough
> now that I'm hazy on how the version in portage actually works.

Interesting. Not my experience so far but I'm experiencing some
strange issues so clearly I'm just not doing things right yet. I'm
still looking around for a good forum with vmware users but haven't
found one so here's what's going on, all based on installing
vmware-server.

1) A few days ago I did my first Win XP install. I did it as root
running the vmware app. The install worked great and has continued to
work great when I start it as root. (As expected) This install
happened only because I sort of got into playing with vmware without
realizing I started it in a root terminal, not because I meant to.

2) I then did a second install but this time I ran vmware in my user
account. It worked when I did the install but by that time it was late
in the day so I closed up vmware and powered down the PC down. When I
returned the next day, powered the machine up and tried to run this
install it wouldn't run but neither would the root install. It turned
out I hadn't enabled the vmware daemon. With that running the root
install would work but the user account version wouldn't.

3) As root I then removed the user installed directories and did a new
install as a user. The install worked fine. This was yesterday and I
don't remember if I rebooted and tested it again, but after rebooting
this morning that install no longer worked. The root install continues
to run.

4) This morning I tried copying the root install and giving it a chown
mark:vmware. Looking in that directory there was a file based on the
name of the install (XP1) so I changed that file to Mark-XP1, same as
the directory name. In that file there were some definitions, one
being display name so I tried changing it to Mark-XP1 also. Anyway,
nothing I did with the copy allowed it to be seen when the vmware app
runs.

   I'm thinking that with the server there may be another step to add
the copied setup to a database that the server gets. Presumably the
server wants to control who sees what in their inventory and decide
who gets access to spcific copies. I don't understand any of that. As
far as I can tell the server allows me to place all the installation
in a single place, on my system currently /mnt/NewMusic/vmware/VM. The
original is there. The copy is there. Only the original is seen.

   I will say that when Windows is running it's really cool to just
have it hanging around. I've not managed to get sound yet but Internet
Explorer with M$ Silverlight allows me to use the NetFlix Watch
Instantly service. Picture looks good enough for day to day use. Cool.
No one has that working with straight OpenSource software yet, as far
as I know, so this will be useful immediately when I get it working as
a user every day and not just when I've done the install.

   Starting over again today to see if I can make some headway.

Cheers,
Mark