Paul Hartman wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 5:46 PM, Mark Knecht wrote:

>>> it is hwclock on my system. it belongs to sys-apps/openrc-0.4.2 which
>>> you may not be using.
>>>
>> Ah, OK, I'm not using openrc.
>>
>> Anyway, I've been trying to fix it with fsck. Trying different
>> options. Letting fsck fix it automatically, etc. so far nothing is
>> fixing these problems. I don't know how to tell if the problem is
>> really on the drive or whether it's caused by the clock not working..
>> the complaints are about 4 partitions:
>>
>> /dev/sda2 which is my root partition
>>
>> /dev/sda5, 7 & 9 which are partitions that are normally not
>> automounted. I tried the fsck on reboot thing and I thought it fixed
>> it - it said it had and had to reboot - but then on reboot it said it
>> wasn't fixed. I also changed my fstab file to mount the 3 partitions
>> that normally aren't mounted to be mounted and then did the fsck on
>> reboot again. It runs through all the partitions, says it's fixing
>> them, and then they still aren't finished.
>>
>> I'm leaning toward this being a clock problem but I've not run fsck by
>> hand very often so I'm trying to be extra careful.
>
> I used to get that same message every time I rebooted and I'm pretty
> sure it was related to the hardware clock config. I changed from local
> to UTC and I think that fixed it for me.

If you have your CMOS clock set to local time, reboot the machine (or
power it down, and wait an amount of time less than the offset between
local time and UTC), *and* are in the Western Hemisphere (as in your
timezone is UTC-####, as opposed to UTC+####), then, unless "clock" or
"hwclock" is set to start *before* "fsck" (or its baselayout-1
equivalent, which I do not remember), you will always see this message.
 I don't think that it was easily fixed in baselayout-1, but if you use
baselayout-2/openrc, you can make hwclock start before fsck if you set
clock_adjfile=no (or leave it unset) in /etc/conf.d/hwclock.

If *any* of those conditions are not met, then this issue should go away.

- --
ABCD