Mark Knecht <markkne...@gmail.com> posted
5bdc1c8b0902051228j789c31a1i282d60a0328c2...@mail.gmail.com, excerpted
below, on  Thu, 05 Feb 2009 12:28:21 -0800:

> Duncan has scared me off of this path for now.

That wasn't really my intention, but I did think you needed to know what
you might be getting yourself into...  But as I said, others have done
it.  It's initially a LOT to deal with, to get your head around thinking
in slightly different ways (but it's still the Gentoo we know and love!)
especially in network config and RAID/LVM etc if you run them.  That's
the BIG thing.  But in the end it's better.

But there is a reason it's not stable yet, and by the time it is, the
transition will certainly have a nice upgrade document available and
should be very smooth for those that follow it.  It's just not there yet,
and while upgrade is absolutely possible, it's not yet "smooth".

> I'll continue down the
> .critical file method until it succeeds or fails.

All things considered, that's what I'd probably do if I were on stable in
general.  Of course I'm not and I actually enjoy the bit of extra
challenge, pitting my mind against some bug in a package obviously not
designed for my sometimes "unique" customization choices, but if I was to
be on stable, for a production machine I was making lots of money with,
or something...

> I don't run anything ~amd64 in @system. I can wait for that. This isn't
> a 'failure'. It's an annoyance only. I can live with it until it's fixed
> in stable.
>
> I'm just surprised that I didn't have this problem until maybe the last
> 5-10 weeks. Seems it's been there for a long time...

That's actually a good point; something I can't quite answer myself.  The
best I could figure was that it was some sort of interaction between
components that I (and apparently others) never did track down.  For me,
it was easier to work around it using CRITICAL_SERVICES, and then later,
upgrading to baselayout-2/openrc.  I suspect that's what most folks have
found that stumbled on the problem -- it was easier to work around than
to trace down to its root cause and fix.  Thus, it remains somewhat of a
mystery.

OTOH, it's possible other folks have traced and fixed it on their
systems, but whatever triggers it in the first place, perhaps a misplaced
quote in an ebuild command (hmm, seems I know something about misplaced
quotes right about now!) having an effect entirely other than intended
and then it looks like, remains free to blow up in the faces of others.
It might even be a common enough error that when it ultimately gets fixed
in one place, it eventually shows up in another.

But it was easy enough to work around, once I got a hint as to how.
Hopefully CRITICAL_SERVICES, once we get it straightened out, works as
well for you.