I went to compile the proprietary drivers today from the ati-drivers emerge,
but nothing up to and including 8.582 will compile do to error:

 *  The die message:
 *   ati-drivers-8.582 requires support for pci_find_slot.

There is a bug about this here: http://bugs.gentoo.org/248118 but oddly
enough it's status is "RESOLVED" even though it's not.  I don't know if this
error exists upstream or not, but I may try installing the 9.3 version from
ATI just to find out (if I can get through it).  I know the Debian version
in "squeeze" works but it's a newer version as far as I can tell (version
numbers are really inconsistent).

Anyway, has anyone else had this problem?  Is there a way around it without
turning on PCI_LEGACY in the kernel?

Harry Holt, PMP