On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 11:02 AM, Mark Knecht<markkne...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Paul,
>   I do a lot of audio work using apps and a kernel (rt-sources) from
> the pro-audio overlay. Jack, Ardour, etc. Really low latency and NO
> long window manager
> delays are more important for me that they probably are for others. I
> ran KDE years ago and it just didn't work very well, but in those days
> even Gnome wasn't very good so I used fluxbox which was great. Well,
> today Gnome is fine, and maybe KDE would be also. Historically it just
> wasn't a good fit more me in the past.
>
>   I guess the other thing that I'm interested in is getting beyond
> this "flat/old Gnome is sort of like Windows" sensation that I am
> feeling right now so to warrant the effort to actually use something I
> suppose I am really looking for something with a really different feel
> but it still really works in terms of getting jobs done. Something
> that makes me feel good about even firing up the desktop.

Well, if you want something different then KDE4 is definitely
different... for better or for worse :)

XFCE is more similar to Gnome in that both of them remind me of a Mac
OS desktop. (KDE4 is more like Vista/Win7) However, XFCE is a fraction
of the size of KDE or Gnome, which is nice. Being able to compile the
whole thing in just a few minutes is a good change of pace.

Check out http://xwinman.org/ for many other options.