On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 10:34 AM, Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I recently built me a new 64 bit system.  My old 32 bit system has 2Gbs and
> my new system has 4Gbs.  I was expecting it to use about the same amount of
> memory but noticed it uses a good bit more on the new system than the old
> one.   With just the normal stuff open, I use about 1.5Gbs of ram.  My old
> system would use a little over half that.   I have the same settings on
> both.
>
> Is this difference because 64 bit programs use more memory, maybe they are
> larger than 32 bit programs?  Just curious.  I notice that Seamonkey uses
> more and KDE's plasma-desktop uses more.  Those are generally the biggest
> users.
>
> I'm not complaining about the usage, just curious as to why the difference.
>
> Dale
>
> :-)  :-)

Hi Dale,
   That seems way high to me but I cannot do a real comparison here as
I haven't had a 32-bit X86 machine in 4-5 years. My current box is
tied up running 3 copies of Windows at the moment and is using pretty
much 12GB at the moment so I'd have to reboot to take any reading.
However I seem to remember only 350MB being used right at the point of
logging into KDE, but I could be wrong about that.

   Maybe post a few numbers:

1) What is used when you first start KDE
2) The additions for a few common apps.

   I'd be happy to compare mine to yours later today.

- Mark