On 6/19/11, Duncan <1i5t5.dun...@cox.net> wrote:
> Daiajo Tibdixious posted on Sun, 19 Jun 2011 13:48:23 +1000 as excerpted:
>
>> I installed pulseaudio, added the pulseaudio use flag, and rebuild with
>> --newuse.
>> I went thru <http://pulseaudio.org/wiki/PerfectSetup> logged out & in
>> from kde,
>> and got no sound at all.
>> Rebooted and still no sound, in any application.
>>
>> If I mplayer -ao pulse, it opens the sound okay, but no sound is audible
>> if I mplayer -ao alsa it can't find the library, I think thats because
>> of the rebuild with pulseaudio use flag.
>> There is no /dev/dsp device (which is the oss compatibility device).
>
> I believe Barry and I disagree on pulse.  It's yet another layer between
> the apps and the hardware that can break, and I don't need it, so from my
> perspective I'm better off without it.

> I've no idea if pulse is similar, tho it would make sense, given you
> don't want something blaring unexpectedly so mute-by-default is a very
> good policy, but if it is, have you checked that it's not simply muted?

Yeah, checking mute/volume is part of the debugging process.
At the moment I only have 1 master volume, not the whole rack of
volumes in AlSA's mixer, but its not muted nor too low to hear.
I think my problem is that my sound card is not defined to pulse,
can't find out what to do about it.

pulse did seem like a solution to my initial problem.
Anyway, I'm hoping solving this problem will help me with my original problem
(sound in all but firefox java applet).