On Sun, May 6, 2012 at 1:29 PM, Frank Peters <frank.pet...@comcast.net> wrote:

> My USB thumb drives can all be successfully recognized with the sg and
> usb-storage modules (as shown in the commands above).  Is this all I would
> need to mount a Western Digital USB HDD or is there some other module that
> needs to be loaded?

Yes, that should be all you need. Virtually every USB hard drive or
USB IDE/SATA adapter work as regular mass storage devices. Nothing
special required. Same as a flash drive or generic memory card reader.

/Some/ USB hard drives are "intelligent", having software
pre-installed on them, a "one touch" backup button, weird immutable
partitions that show up as CDROM drives, etc. but the overwhelming
majority are just a plain USB mass storage device. If you can find one
that lacks special features like buttons or anything, it's probably
more likely to work without hassle.