Lie Ryan, mused, then expounded:
> It's not a good idea to not do journalling for an external drive. No matter
> how careful you are, it is just a matter of when you will trip up your USB
> cable in the middle of a write; and then you should just pray that fsck can
> save your drive without the journal.

If there is concern about that, then the two filesystems to use would be
XFS and EXT3.

But, don't take my work for it, simply set up a bootable image with each
filesystem, create a bootable USB stick, boot it, then pull it without
unmounting it.  Even pull power.   With current >= 2.6.32 kernels those
will survive better than the others.