On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 3:33 PM, Frank Peters <frank.pet...@comcast.net> wrote:
> During kernel configuration there is an option called
> CONFIG_TRANSPARENT_HUGEPAGE
> which allows the use of Transparent Hugepages or application memory pages
> larger
> than the traditional 4K size.  This option has been available for a while but
> I've never enabled it.  However, it would seem like a good idea to use.
>
> Searching for more information I can find no comments on actual Hugepage
> performance for a simple desktop Linux system.  Can anyone verify or refute
> the idea that Transparent Hugepages will lead to improvements on a desktop
> system?  Does an application have to specifically request Hugepages or
> does the allocation occur for all applications?

AFAIR there were claims of up to 10% performance improvement in
certain test scenarios, and that you don't need to do anything special
to exploit THP in existing software (but applications can be rewritten
in such a way as to specifically make better use of it).

There is a setting that lets you expose THP _only_ to those programs
which specifically request it, rather than backwards-compatible to all
programs if you are worried about that.

Check out the in-kernel documentation (vm/transhuge.txt) for details.

Anecdotal: I have turned it off and on and don't "feel" any difference
in the operation of my computer either way...