On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 6:44 AM, Benny Pedersen <m...@junc.eu> wrote:
> Mark Knecht skrev den 2013-06-19 20:59:
>

>> mark@c2RAID6 ~ $ cat ./DoBackups
>> mount /backups
>> rsync -avx /VirtualMachines/VMWare/. /backups/VMWare
>

> is not possible to make native vmware backup in blocklevel ?, or is file
> level backup needed ?

Possibly, and it's sensible that Virtualbox & VMWare would provide
some mechanisms to do that, but then I'd have to back up a bunch of
different VMs using different tools, and that would only get the VMs
and not the other files on the old RAID.

<SNIP>
>> rsync -avx /home/. /backups/home
>

> this would make a tarball instaed ?

No, it's not a tarball, it's just a copy of the file system structure
that existed on the old RAID/

<SNIP>

> its possible to make filelevel backups to nas disks like qnap i have here
> with have rsync client/server, but if you more liked to migrade to another
> vmware/virtualbox then rsync is not the best option for backups

OK, I'm not sure I'm understanding you but I'm not trying to migrate
from one version fo VBox or VMWare to another. I'm only trying to
reduce the number of RAIDs on a single set of drives. The RAID6 that
has / is being enlarged and then the copied data will be added onto
that array in the same locations (/VirtualMachines) instead of
mounting a second RAID under /VirtualMachine. There is no migration
going on in terms of executable versions.

>> When the RAID comes back up I want to reverse and copy back from
>> USB drive to the /VirtualMachines directory.
>

> will not create the virtualbox/vmware setup, if thats not needed then ok

I guess I agree. It won't 'create' it because it's already there. In
fact I mounted the USB backup drive at /VirtualMachines and ran the
VMs from the USB drive as a test that it was working before I removed
the old RAID. I expect that when I rsync the USB backup back to
/VirtualMachines on the new, larger / RAID6 it will continue to work.

Thanks for the comments.

Cheers,
Mark