Am 05.07.2013 04:28, schrieb Frank Peters:

>> My interpretation of this message in the nvidia-drivers ebuild is that
>> the maintainers assume that you switch to nouveau.
>
> I think it means that the problem occurs so frequently that they
> do not want to be bothered with bug reports -- and rightly so.

Yes.

> My great disappointment is that xorg or nvidia or whoever was
> responsible had decided to stop the legacy nv driver that was
> part of xorg itself.  I don't do gaming and I have no need for
> ultra-high performance graphics.  The nv driver was always good
> enough for me.

Are you having problems with nouveau? I'm using nouveau for a while now,
and it works perfectly most of the time. It also allows you to use
modern desktop environments like Gnome 3.x or cinnamon. I use the
nouveau stuff that comes with the sources from kernel.org and the
corresponding Xorg driver from portage (~amd64). It's working fine.

Regards,
  Sven