Hey Mark,

/usr/src/linux/init/Kconfig and kernel/Kconfig.preempt are the droids you
are looking for...

config PREEMPT_RCU
        def_bool TREE_PREEMPT_RCU
        help
          This option enables preemptible-RCU code that is common between
          the TREE_PREEMPT_RCU and TINY_PREEMPT_RCU implementations.

So you would want to /not/ pick one of those - however - looking further

choice
        prompt "RCU Implementation"
        default TREE_RCU

config TREE_RCU
        bool "Tree-based hierarchical RCU"
        depends on !PREEMPT && SMP
        select IRQ_WORK
        help
          This option selects the RCU implementation that is
          designed for very large SMP system with hundreds or
          thousands of CPUs.  It also scales down nicely to
          smaller systems.

config TREE_PREEMPT_RCU
        bool "Preemptible tree-based hierarchical RCU"
        depends on PREEMPT
        select IRQ_WORK
        help
          This option selects the RCU implementation that is
          designed for very large SMP systems with hundreds or
          thousands of CPUs, but for which real-time response
          is also required.  It also scales down nicely to
          smaller systems.

          Select this option if you are unsure.

config TINY_RCU
        bool "UP-only small-memory-footprint RCU"
        depends on !PREEMPT && !SMP
        help
          This option selects the RCU implementation that is
          designed for UP systems from which real-time response
          is not required.  This option greatly reduces the
          memory footprint of RCU.

endchoice

Seems you would want TREE_RCU (or TINY_RCU if you really have a UP system)
- but both of those depend on !PREEMPT... which is counter to what you were
asked.

In short - at least in 3.12.0 - I don't think what you've been asked for is
in fact possible - or I'm reading Kconfig wrongly (it's been a while)

Cheers,
malc.