For a while now I've been logging into root & doing "modprobe radeon" after
which the screen will blank, then come back at a much higher resolution.
(as an aside, where do I put modules to autoload?) Since the last reboot
nothing happens. SDDM/KDE will not start.

I have checked all the radeon settings in the kernel, & tried booting off a
previous kernel with no change.

If I login to my user account & do "startx" that also fails.

I took the cover off the machine & the GPU fan is spinning. It's dusty but
not too bad.

I've run out of ideas. To me it looks like a HW fault but I don't know how
to check the GPU. It's still visible in lspci & console mode works (with
tiny # lines & width).

(IDK if this will be text or html, the setting is not visible on phone)