Hi All,

I've come across a peculiar inconsistency with one tiny aspect of the
Gentoo Development Policy which would probably bore everyone except for
the most pedantic and anal developers.

I was reading through the Gentoo Developer HOWTO (aka. Ebuild HOWTO)[1]
as all developers should (yes, I'm looking at you ;) and found that the
field IUSE is declared as an optional field.

I've brought this up on gentoo-doc and also on bugzilla[2], but there
doesn't seem to be any authoritative answer on whether IUSE should be
included even if a package does not use and USE flags.

From a earlier revision (1.13) of the Developer Policy, it says:

IUSE : This is set to what USE variables your package uses. If your
package uses none, you must set it to IUSE="". 

However, the current document states that:

IUSE : OPT : This is set to whatever USE variables your package
utilizes. Remember that KEYWORDS should not be listed in here!

(where OPT = optional)

Now, which one is right? Should we include IUSE="" if there are no USE
variables being used, or should we just remove them? 

I don't mind either way, because adding an extra 7 characters to an
ebuild doesn't do me or a user a great deal of harm. But it would be
nice to be clear on what the policy should be.

[1] http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-howto.xml
[2] http://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=34131

Cheers,
-- 
Alastair 'liquidx' Tse
 >> Gentoo Developer
 >> http://www.liquidx.net/ | http://dev.gentoo.org/~liquidx/

Attachment: signature.asc
Description: This is a digitally signed message part

Reply via email to