On Tuesday 18 January 2005 22:57, Marius Mauch wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 21:35:22 +0000
> Ciaran McCreesh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Hello people, time for another friendly QA reminder. For those of
> > you who didn't realise, code like the following:
> >
> > cp /var/log/emerge* /etc/basc
> >
> > is really not a good idea. It's an even worse idea to do this on an
> > ebuild that's being committed into the tree straight as stable,
> > without going even a single minute in ~arch first.
> >
> > Hope this clears things up for a few people who may otherwise have
> > been unsure.

hello ciaranm,

well, do you have a solution for this?

See, basc, the client of gentoo-stats.org, needs read-access
on /var/log/emerge.log to get the average mergetime of gcc.
But unfortunately, the /var/log/emerge.log only has read-access for root
and group portage. Others don't have any rights on it.
I really can't understand this, because every user can get information of
every package, which is installed (and the whole package-list) with
`qpkg` without to be root or in the portage group.
So why is /var/log/emerge.log restricted so hard?

Okay, so how to do this then?

> Oh, and even if it would be ok it would still be broken as $ROOT is
> missing.

yeah, you're right, I've forgotten this, because it also works without
$ROOT.

--
http://de.gentoo-wiki.com              Alexander Mieland (aka dma147)
http://www.gentoo-stats.org             Registered Linux-User #249600