On Tuesday 18 January 2005 06:01 pm, Alexander Mieland wrote:
> So why is /var/log/emerge.log restricted so hard?

in reality it would be sane to lock /var/db/pkg in a similar manner, it's just
not a critical thing

> Okay, so how to do this then?

like ciaran said, the sane thing would be to require the basc client to run as
a user that's in the portage group

> yeah, you're right, I've forgotten this, because it also works without
> $ROOT.

no, it doesnt ... the problems with this:
 - ROOT=/some/space emerge basc ... you would get the log file from / instead
of /some/space/ ... thus basc could be reporting emerge.log info about the
wrong system
 - it's a onetime-only copy (when you emerge basc) ... the client wont be able
to grab any info about emerge.log after that point in time
 - it's just really bad form to screw with that kind of crap in an ebuild

note that ciaran has issues with the ebuild in this case, not with the
client ... the client shouldnt care about $ROOT at all
-mike