maillog: 22/01/2005-01:12:10(-0600): Daniel Goller types
> Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
> >On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 22:25:55 -0600 Daniel Goller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >wrote:
> >| Since the last few discussions ended in a flamewar, we'll try to
> >| present our arguments with some comments and some ideas on
> >| implementation. Please don't go "Booo hiss eeeevil!" now. That gets
> >| boring after a time ;-)
> >
> >Ok. It'd probably help if you two let everyone know which eclasses you
> >work with on a regular basis so that we can figure out how this
> >relates... The problems you describe don't seem relevant to any of the
> >eclasses I work with, but maybe the ones you use are different.
>
> do i have to meddle in an eclass to be able to point out that one
> version that is never constand used by many versions of ebuilds cant be
> a good thing? im not sure what it is you are after here
>

> >| * We want a reproducable system. Arbitrary changes to eclasses change
> >| the behaviour of core components and make testing and validation a lot
> >| harder to do. With versioned eclasses every change is visible. If your
> >| "profile" is locked, you will continue with an old eclass. If you want
> >| new and bleeding edge, you get the new and hopefully improved eclass.
> >
> >It's already entirely possible to do eclass changes only for certain
> >versions of a package. Several eclasses do this already. Remember that
> >eclasses aren't supposed to be used for version-specific things, so the
> >only time the certain versions thing applies is when there're relatively
> >small changes between versions, such that it's not worth not using an
> >eclass function.
>
> can you already control that changes to an eclass do not affect a
> certain version of a package, if that package uses an eclass that has
> changed several times significantly in the version specific part, while
> the ebuild version has not? it is great we can do that (if people only
> used it), what the issue is here that two people can merge the same
> package version at different times and due to different versions of the
> eclass do not get the same results, during merging and or after
>
> ie emerging foo-1.2-r1 in may should yield the same result as merging
> foo-1.2-r1 in july, while it doesnt

I can give a real-life example:

I emerged gcc recently (yesterday) and it was completely broken. After
trying out different versions, I found that the problem was caused by a
script from the Globus Toolkit. Point is, that script is setting some
environment variables to make it possible to use the GT. Among the
LD_LIBRARY_PATH, PATH, etc... it was also setting a LIBPATH variable.
So, a new version of the toolchain eclass was using that LIBPATH
variable and was breaking up.

--
-*   Georgi Georgiev   -* Bender: "Argh. The laws of science be a      -*
*-    [EMAIL PROTECTED]    *- harsh mistress."                             *-