On Fri, 2005-01-28 at 00:09 +0000, Elfyn McBratney wrote:
> I'll happily test the stages into the ground, and bootstrap the hell out of
> one of my boxes ;-), but I've only got x86 (P4) hardware to hand..  Is there
> anything specific that needs to be tested in light of that?

Everything needs testing.

> Also, on the topic of getting more thorough testing, would it be possible to
> get something on the g.o front page and/or #gentoo /topic?  There's probably
> quite a few users who'd help out if they knew where to fetch the
> snapshots. :-)

The truth is that we limit some of the testing because we need good
feedback.  We also need very rapid feedback.  We cannot take a single
moment to try to help someone with a problem, as that essentially takes
away our time, rather than benefiting us.

This is why we don't do an open beta.

However, we do take volunteers and encourage them.

Tim accidentally sent that email to this list.  It was meant for -core
and the developers only, as most of the problems we are getting require
developers to resolve.  They aren't simple issues, and people without
CVS access to make changes to the tree to resolve the problems
definitely help, but developer help is needed most of all.

--
Chris Gianelloni
Release Engineering - Strategic Lead/QA Manager