Mamoru KOMACHI wrote:

Hi,

At 12 Jul 2003 09:42:39 +0100,
Alastair Tse wrote:

Also, it seems to me that the "doc" USE flag is too encompassing. It is
used for both installing user documentation (user guides, application
user help) and also to install developer documentation (APIs,
programming tutorials, Javadoc, etc). I think we should have a "devdoc"
USE flag to differentiate between the two.

1. Mamoru, check the date on the e-mails you're sending. :)

2. Yeah, I have "-doc" set globally (mostly to avoid the "Fetch" for the Java docs from the Sun website) and a rather large collection of ebuilds listed in "/etc/portage/package.use" with the only flag being "doc". It's not really a big issue; what I have works fine for me. Since I have more than one machine and oodles of disk space, I can turn "doc" on for one machine globally and use it as a library.

What I'd *really* like is Debian's "dwww", which organizes all the documentation as a searchable web page using Apache. I looked at their source and some chunks of it are Debian-specific. It looked like a moderately difficult port as a result, certainly not as easy as compiling a C program :).