On Sunday 30 January 2005 21:17, Paul Waring wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 18:43:16 +0100, Alexander Mieland
>
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > If someone wants to test the bot, he can /join #gentoo-stats.
>
> If they want to use the bot, why not just join that channel as well,
> instead of having it enter #gentoo and whatever else? Or people can
> just /query or /msg the bot directly. I don't see why a bot has to
> enter channels in order to be useful - the only exception being dev
> channels with jeeves and perhaps one seenbot (although I think jeeves
> does this anyway).

Well, do you want to tell every user who has such a question to join
#gentoo-stats and then to do "@basc package" or "@file filename"?
This would be a fulltimejob... ;)

Btw. the bot also makes some irc-statistics which also can be useful:
http://www.gentoo-stats.org/irclogs/gentoo-stats.html

I'm already working on it to make it able to /msg or /query the bot, but
well, you or someone else first must tell the user who has asked, what
to do (how to /query or /msg the bot and the commands...).

If the bot sits in the chennel, you can simply do:
"@basc [the_nick_of_the_user_who_has_asked] <package>"
Then the bot will reply directly to this user.

--
http://de.gentoo-wiki.com              Alexander Mieland (aka dma147)
http://www.gentoo-stats.org             Registered Linux-User #249600