On Thu, Feb 03, 2005 at 12:23:40AM +0000, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
> We can't afford to test new portage commit features on the live tree.
> There's far too much that can get broken that way.

Frankly, you're being an ass and doing a bit of fud here.  Maybe inadverent,
since you don't seem to understand
what this patch actually does.

The patch enables people to -test- profiles, and other useful such things out
of an overlay when working from within
an overlay.  Repoman previously would work strictly off of profiles in portdir,
so you had to mix your testing
changes into your cvs tree- a recipe for disaster.  This patch enables repoman,
when working w/in an overlay tree, to
treat it as a full tree.

A useful feature imo.

repoman's behaviour of disabling overlays if it's in portdir is still the same,
there's nothing being screwed with of
the commiting code here.
~brian
Gentoo Developer || Portage Development