On Wed, 2005-03-09 at 08:14 +1300, Jerome Brown wrote:
> How about another option?
>
> 6) Disallow -USE within groups, but allow [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I like this option.

> The issue comes with resolving the individual (@KDE [EMAIL PROTECTED] or vice
> versa) as both define X, and a -X comes from the other. I guess that
> this could be resolved by defining that if a USE flag is defined in a
> group, and another group negates it, that portage ignores the negation,
> however if the negation is specified by the user in their USE line then
> the negation is allowed: Therefore

Why is X in either GNOME or KDE anyway?  It is separate from either, and
should probably have its own group, if necessary.

When I think of KDE stuff, I don't think of X + KDE, I think of KDE and
arts and Qt.  I think of X as a separate beast entirely.

Then again, I don't think that flags should be specified in more than
one group.

If it doesn't fit into a group, then don't group it.  If it fits into
multiple groups, then either pick one and stick with it, or don't group
it.

Groups are supposed to simplify using large numbers of USE flags, it
isn't supposed to completely replace them.

--
Chris Gianelloni
Release Engineering - Strategic Lead/QA Manager