On Fri, Apr 01, 2005 at 01:52:18AM +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:

> Abstract
> ========
>
> The x86 and x86-64 architectures currently use different ``KEYWORDS`` values.
> This GLEP proposes a fix.
>
> Motivation
> ==========
>
> Currently, Gentoo uses the ``x86`` keyword to indicate the architecture
> used by IBM PCs with Intel 80x86 CPUs (and, of course, the clones).  The
> ``x86-64`` architecture, which is ``x86`` with a small number of
> extensions for 64-bit numeric and 40 bit address support, is denoted by
> the confusing ``amd64`` keyword.

Blame AMD, they're the ones who called the technology AMD64 :)

> This situation is less than ideal for several reasons.
>
> Confusing and Inaccurate Name
> -----------------------------
>
> * Intel also produce x86-64 capable ('enabled' in PC marketing speak)
>   CPUs. It is likely that other vendors will follow suit at some point in
>   the future.

..which are still using AMD's AMD64 technology

> * AMD also produce non-x86 (full) 64bit CPUs, which are covered by the
>   mips keyword rather than the amd64 keyword.

Because they're based on mips technology, not amd64 technology, and are
never referred to in any AMD documentation as 'AMD64'

At any rate, I think this should be left up to the AMD64 team and not
forced on them via a GLEP. I don't think any architecture
team appreciates being told what's good for it by people who haven't
been dealing with the bugs :)

--
Jon Portnoy
avenj/irc.freenode.net