On Thu, 2005-04-28 at 18:40 +0200, Heinrich Wendel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Portage is slow? How to make it faster? By removing unused ebuilds!
>
> I wrote a little script to check which ebuilds in portage aren't used
> anylonger, here the result:
>
> Total packages checked: 9076
> Total ebuilds checked: 18662
> Total ebuilds to remove: 4643
>
> Of course the script can't detect every ebuild situation, so take the numbers
> with care. But still it shows that 1/4 of all ebuilds could be removed. This
> would improve portage performance by at least 1/4, so developers go ahead.
> The script is attached, just run it as if it was repoman, it won't do
> anything, just show the orphaned packages.
>
> mfg, heinrich :-)

I feel that I should point out that "large style" corporations, and the
smaller PLC's whose Systems departments like to play at being larger
corporations don't like changing version numbers of packages, full stop.
Purging old versions for a few seconds speed increase in portage
operations would potentially cause some, if not many people to make
extensive use of the overlay, just to satisfy their PHB's.

--
Tom Wesley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>