On Friday 29 April 2005 22:25, Dan Meltzer wrote:
> The problem with ebuild config, at least until bug 11359 is handled,
> is if the package is emerged early on in a list of packages, there is
> a chance the person won't know to use ebuild config.... would it be
> possible for portage to run an ebuild config for _all_ packages that
> need it after _all_ packages that are being emerged are emerged? This
> way the upgrade goes without interference, but the customization waits
> until the person comes back, either that or an emerge config that
> tracks all packages that need config that have yet to be configged,
> currently, hoping a person thinks to ebuild packagename config is a
> lot to ask, unless every package takes use of it...

That's a long paragraph. ;)

I don't see the problem with users not seeing a "run config" message. On the
contrary, I think it would be better if a message wasn't needed at all.
Instead, if a user didn't know how to configure a package or didn't want to
do it manually, they would just give it a go with the package that they're
interested in.

The only thing I think is necessary to improve for this to work is the method
in which a package's config method is invoked. Doing it via emerge would be
much more intuitive. Something like "emerge --config dev-db/mysql"? Use
standard atom matching within the installed package database and use the
standard "please be specific" message when more than one package matches.

Regards,
Jason Stubbs