Stroller wrote:

> On May 12, 2005, at 10:11 am, Patrick Lauer wrote:

> I'm going to ignore that. This thread started because the current
> category/name naming convention causes interesting conditions. I
> appreciate that generally Microsoft Are Not Our Favourite Software
> Company, but giving them as an example doesn't inherently make unique
> IDs bad, and 128-bit ones are not necessary in this case.

  32-bit (unsigned) should be plenty ;)

>>>  It prevents upstream naming collisions
>>
>> But reduces readability for humans to zero. We don't want that.
>

> Humans are used to dealing with indexes - we remember phone numbers
> easily, and if we're looking up several things in a large volume, then
> we're used to using bookmarks or noting down page numbers. A six figure
> decimal packageID allows for a million packages in the Portage tree (and
> I'm assuming versions will be separate, anyway), a five figure hex ID
> would allow far more.
>
>> At least you haven't tried to optimize it all by using XML ...
>>
>>> but the rest of us will use
>>> `esearch -o "%p\n" "" | grep -e category -e keyword`.
>>
>> *head explodes*
>> No.
  I think there are a few points that are at the core of this.
        A.  Categories are metadata.  Not many people like doing this,
especially since you are sorting by a particular metadata that isn't
unique in all cases ( or shouldn't be ).  If people want to sort by
something else, it too should be unique, hence the GUID crap above.
This might kill off names ( do we not want a package have 2 names, or 2
packages having the same name? ).

        B.  Users don't care how the data is stored, they will create/use tools
to search through it.  I think this is much different than the
developer's view.  As a user, if I am looking for a package I'll use
emerge -s or p.g.o.  I don't go diving into the tree unless I'm looking
for an ebuild and I doubt that many users actually go ebuild diving.
This creates issues where developers need to get to ebuilds to check out
issues, and users want fast searching.  One is condusive to human
readability, the other is to computer readability.

        Is human readability worth it here, and is there a storage mechanism
that gives us both?  Certainly the current system works, albeit with
some limitations that some people do not like.  IMHO I think the flat
tree sucks too, but I haven't put much thought into any other storage
mechanism.  Certainly it would be nice if one machine held the database
on a SQL server and each client just made queries, although it would be
much slower :)

        I should also note that ripping categories out of CPV's means a lot of
work on internals; I think it's worth it to spec things out now since a
lot of other stuff is being gutted anyway.

- -Antarus