This is geared mostly towards arch devs, but I'm open to any comments :)

A new version of g-cpan is about a week away. Lot of feature additions,
upgrades, code revisions (wouldn't recommend diff'ing the current to the new
because I know there's only a few lines in common). It's still 100% perl (in
fact, the old version was only 95%, so that's another improvement - no more
system calls, ick), and the big reason for even going down the road of a
rewrite was to add support for the intended split of dev-perl into new,
smaller, manageable(!) categories.

In the past, g-cpan was lumped in with portage, so it received all of the
keyword bliss of portage. When it was initially split from portage it also
inherited that keyword batch, since the version in the split and the version
in the current portage were identical. But herein lies my dilemma. While 100%
perl code means there ~shouldn't~ be any issues on any platform that can
install perl, I don't want to tick any arch's off by unmasking en masse.
Would you all prefer a bug with recommended tests for the new version? Do you
all even care? :) Let me know, on list, off list, just don't call me late at
night, it makes the wife wonder.

Mike

--

Michael Cummings   |    #gentoo-dev, #gentoo-perl