Simon Stelling wrote:[Tue Jun 07 2005, 07:23:57AM EDT]
> From [1]:
> |When a package version has proved stable for sufficient time and the
> |Gentoo maintainer of the package is confident that the upgrade will not
> |break a regular Gentoo user's machine, then it can be moved from ~ARCH
> |to ARCH. An indication of the package's stability would be no verified
> |or unresolved bug report for a month after the version's introduction.
>
> If that policy is dropped, I'd prefer alpha, otherways append.

Could you explain why that policy needs to be dropped for alpha to be
preferred?  It's not obvious to me how that policy requires append.
If all arch teams were to follow that policy, then it would work
smoothly like this:

    1. all keywords are ~arch

    2. maintainer marks their arch(es) stable

    3. arch maintainers see the stable marking (it could be any
       keyword in the list) and follow the leader

In other words, you can implement "maintainer arch" with either alpha
or append.  The idea of putting the maintainer's arch first is purely
cosmetic.

Regards,
Aron

--