maillog: 09/06/2005-20:14:33(-0700): Duncan types
.. snip  ..

> That said, there remains the practical issue of keeping links updated.  I
> see a couple possibilities.
>
> One, there's the idea others floated -- note on the page the problem of
> keeping links updated as to why links aren't provided, and suggest
> searching on the titles listed, possibly with IBM DeveloperWorks listed
> specifically, or otherwise with publisher or original source acknowledged,
> to ease the search.
>
> Two, keep the links, but again, specifically acknowledge some of them move
> from time to time, list them as last verified links, and display a
> feedback mechanism (email, or web form based to prevent email harvesting,
> or whatever) prominently asking for reader link update submissions.  If a
> reader says a link doesn't work and it's verified, with no new link
> immediately available, simply note that it has been verified dead and ask
> for updates.  The idea here is to leave the links as well as acknowledging
> they may be outdated, but leave the work of providing updates to the
> readers.

Three, keep a local copy of the articles unless you're forbidden to.

Four, provide a link to a cached copy, e.g.,
http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-fs.html

--
\    Georgi Georgiev   \  I hate mankind, for I think myself one of    \
/     [EMAIL PROTECTED]    /  the best of them, and I know how bad I am. - /