On Tuesday 14 June 2005 04:19, Brian Jackson wrote:
> Chris White wrote:
> > Here's the nitty gritty:
> >
> > ----------
> > BACKGROUND
> > ----------
> >
> > kde-look.org is a site that hosts various kde themes to change the look
> > and feel of the kde desktop.
> >
> > ---------
> > REASONING
> > ---------
> >
> > An eclass such as this would be benificial to users that want to create
> > custom ebuilds for various kde themes, as well as getting popular kde
> > themes into the portage tree.
>
> I actually half wrote a g-cpan.pl like thing for kde-look.org once. It
> could handle themes and wallpapers. I never got around to the rest. I think
> something like this would be better in the long run since the eclass will
> only serve to make people file more new ebuild bugs for stuff the kde team
> won't add.

I second that, that's exactly what I thought when I saw the proposal.
A few other points to consider:
- As Michael pointed out, kde-look.org already tries to be a
install-with-few-clicks portal, and kde is going more and more in this
direction with the integration in kde 4.
- Often there's no real consistency in content packaged on kde-look, users
just offer for public download things packaged as they feel.
- Projects appear and become obsolete on kde-look at an _impressive_ rate.