Azarah wrote:[Sat Jun 18 2005, 07:23:19AM EDT]
> You might however say install all gnuish tools with the 'g' prefix,
> and then install wrapper scripts/stubs into say /usr/bin/gnu/ or
> /bin/gnu/ (with /usr/bin/gnu/find calling gfind, etc), and portage
> just adds this path as the first path to $PATH ...
>
> This should cover the fact that aliases might not work in all cases,
> and is bsd specific implementation.

That would actually cause a lot of problems because the PATH would be
inherited by configure and/or make.  The result is that programs get
GNU tools when they are built, but BSD tools at run-time.  I can only
imagine that causing a lot of confusion.

Regards,
Aron

--
Aron Griffis