Hi,

Starting from linux-2.6.13-rc1 the PCMCIA subsystem has been patched to
exports certain internals to sysfs, which allows using hotplug for
handling insertion/ejection of 16bit PCMCIA cards.

For this to work, a new package called pcmciautils [1] will need to be
added to portage. Therefore, a new virtual/pcmcia (which will default to
sys-apps/pcmcia-cs in base/virtuals for now) will be added as well.

I have had sys-apps/pcmciautils in my portage overlay [2] for quite a
while now, just waiting for the needed functionality to be merged into
Linus' tree.

The linux-mod eclass will be changed to depend on virtual/pcmcia for
pcmcia support. Future ebuilds that just need a PCMCIA card manager
should depend on virtual/pcmcia as well.

If anybody has any objections and/or questions to this new virtual,
please drop me an e-mail.

Sincerely,
Brix

[1]: http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/kernel/pcmcia/
[2]: http://dev.gentoo.org/~brix/files/overlay/
--
Henrik Brix Andersen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Gentoo Metadistribution | Mobile computing herd