On Saturday 02 July 2005 14:43, foser wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-07-01 at 18:33 +0300, Dan Armak wrote:
> > > calling a function in a global scope is a bad idea. it leads to lots of
> > > unneccessary (and timely) computations
> >
> > Necessary in the case of kde split ebuilds. Take a look at
> > kde-functions.eclass::deprange().
>
> So you create functions to do things portage really should do ? Wouldn't
> pushing the portage team to finally implement a major feature like
> depranges be a better idea ?
They said a major feature like dep version ranges would never be in a stable
portage 2.0.x, so I wrote deprange() as a temporary stop-gap measure because
there was no other feasible way to write the split kde ebuilds. The request
is in bug 33545.

Maybe I didn't push them enough :-/

> The gnome team has been dealing with these things forever, but we have a
> preference for a global solution instead of inventing our own wheel.
I've a preference for that too, I just wasn't up to writing a patch for
portage at the time. Maybe I should try to do that now, depending on their
answer to my new comment in 33545...

--
Dan Armak
Gentoo Linux developer (KDE)