On Thursday 07 July 2005 11:05 am, twofourtysix wrote:
> ebuild(5) provides an example of the DEPEND string for a package which
> can handle exactly one of several different video interfaces:
> <snip>
> I've been using a similar construct in one of my local ebuilds. My
> build code is along the lines of:
> <snip>

while your example is correct, it's prety ugly shell code :P

> However, a recently overheard conversation on IRC suggests that this
> is incorrect.

the only argument ive heard against using || ( ) is binary packages due to the
'accept any' nature of || ( )

for example:
|| ( x11-libs/gtk+ media-libs/libsdl )
this means either gtk+ or libsdl is OK, but prefer gtk+ if neither exist ...
but when you go to use a binary package and the system has the other package
installed, things can go bad ... built against one lib but trying to use the
runtime from a different one

> I can find several ebuilds in the tree
> that appear to use the same technique, however. Are these buggy?

depends who you ask ... considering it's the simplest technology we have atm
to get the job done i say the binary package breakage is acceptable ...
bloating DEPEND as you suggested to work around portage limitations is just
as bad imo
-mike