On Thu, Jul 07, 2005 at 04:49:13PM -0400, Aron Griffis wrote:
> Current (possibly unwritten) policy:
>   - eclasses declare USE-flags they honor in their own IUSE
>   - ebuilds declare USE-flags they honor in their own IUSE
>   - ebuilds do not declare USE-flags honored by eclasses they inherit

The policy itself is almost fine, it's the checking we need to improve.

The only policy problem case that is where an eclass has a flag
declared, but the ebuild doesn't use that part of the eclass at all, on
purpose.  Either the ebuild/eclass should be changed, or we should have
a way to take flags out of IUSE further down the line.

> So right now the policy is broken, but the apparent alternative is
> unmanageable.  Ideas?
Before changing more, it would be good to have some proper repoman
checks for this stuff.

It should be easily doable, as there are only a few proper ways to use
USE flags in your ebuild. This would also help catch ebuilds/eclasses
not declaring IUSE properly, or having old stuff in IUSE that isn't
actually used anymore.

The only official ways to use USE flags are (at least to my knowledge):
use FLAG
usev FLAG
useq FLAG
use_enable FLAG
use_with FLAG

I don't think I'm missing any here am I?

The only other change is that repoman would need to work on eclasses.

--
Robin Hugh Johnson
E-Mail     : [EMAIL PROTECTED]