I'll even top post this one :P Take it back to the thread flameeyes started about this originally pretty please, with sugar on top.

On Jul 9, 2005, at 9:10 AM, Martin Schlemmer wrote:

On Sat, 2005-07-09 at 15:11 +0200, Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò wrote:

On Saturday 09 July 2005 15:05, Martin Schlemmer wrote:

Ditto - point being, is that if you want the agony of per-ebuild hacks,
be my guest, but do not expect the rest to hold your hand.

It's not a matter of per-ebuild hack.
Let me explain for example:

for a bit of time we had make -> gmake alias on g/fbsd profiles, but emake
still called plain "make" (bsdmake).
That was fine for most of the cases, gawk was the first one failing because it uess $(RM) which on gmake is an internal but it's not in other makes. The "good" solution was to fix the configure.in (or .ac i don't remember) to make sure that RM variable was set. That was discarded and we needed to let emake
call gmake.

The problem of make/gmake is minimal, just a few corner cases, but I don't
really like have to use alias make='gmake' in profiles.

Could do a make wrapper similar to the emake one, that just
stips /usr/$(get_libdir)/portage/bin from PATH, and then run $MAKE.
Then bsd will only need to add MAKE=gmake to its profile, and change it
to MAKE=make or whatever for the bsd only stuff ?  (as I assume you
already have to do that for emake ...)

Anyhow, just a suggestion.

--
Martin Schlemmer
Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop/System Team Developer