Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
| On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 14:54:04 -0700 Donnie Berkholz
| <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
| | Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
| | But see, that's the thing; no packages should just generally say "Give
| | me the X libraries" other than temporarily. They should be
| | specifically demanding upon the exact libraries they require.
|
| Hrmmmmm. Is this going to be sanely doable by your average dev? How long
| a dep string would we be having in typical cases? How about in bad
| cases?

It shouldn't be difficult in most cases, for those capable of finding
linker lines in a build.

I wrote a quick one-liner that works reasonably well on a couple of
tests, but could use a little tweaking. Just set log to your build log
beforehand.

for linkline in $(grep ' \-l[a-zA-Z]' ${log}); do if [[ "${linkline}" =~
"-l[a-zA-Z]" ]]; then echo $linkline; fi; done | sort | uniq

I ran it on gedit and thunderbird and got largely reasonable output. In
gedit's case, there would be 5
X library dependencies. In thunderbird's case, there would be 9.

| | | Is it your assumption that in the future xorg-x11 will be the only
| | | serious X server?
| |
| | My assumption is that if there's another fork, it will be easier to
| | deal with || ( xorg-libfoo forkx-libfoo ) than a virtual for every
| | single package X provides.
|
| So X deps will be by package ('either xorg-libfoo or forkx-foo or
| sgi-x'), rather than by concept in the future?

This makes more sense to me, particularly given the objection people
have to adding new virtuals. Adding a hundred or two wouldn't make them
happy.

| | | *shrug* I realise we make similar assumptions about a lot of
| | | packages, but X is a) an at least vaguely standard protocol, b)
| | | heavily depended upon and c) implemented by more than one vendor.
| |
| | Indeed. But what I've begun to discover is that virtuals aren't always
| | the best solution when there is more than one provider, much less when
| | that's a largely hypothetical question.
|
| Mmm, possibly true. For the big things though, I was hoping we could
| switch more towards depending by concept rather than by implementation,
| especially once we get improved virtuals. The current X situation is
| sort of a concept dependency -- moving away from that could arguably be
| seen as a regression from one perspective.

It could be, but X is no longer a big thing. It's a few hundred small ones.

Thanks for your ideas,
Donnie