On Fri, Sep 02, 2005 at 08:17:39AM +0200, Marius Mauch wrote:
> On 08/27/05  Brian Harring wrote:
> > Straight to the point, I'm proposing that the following files-
> > arch.list
> > categories
> > use.desc
> > use.local.desc
> > package.mask
> > updates
> >
> > be moved out of the profiles directory in the tree, and into the
> > existing  metadata directory personally, due to the fact that the
> > files above are  essentially repository metadata.  Why move them *now*
> > when they've  been around forever?
>
> [snip]
>
> Don't mind moving them, BUT
> - metadata is a stupid location for them for several reasons
being?
metadata already holds global repository information, time of
repositories generation, pregenerated cache, glsa set...
It holds global metadata for the repository.

> - don't really like adding more cruft to the regen script
Agreed.  That said, users bitching when the don't upgrade their tools,
and said tools start breaking isn't fun.

> - why move them now and then move/redesgin them again when someone
> finally makes a sane profiles design (yeah, I've talked about that for
> months now :-/)
Anyone after redesigning profiles has their hands full.  Do this
change now, profile redesign isn't burdened with dealing with this
mess.  This change over as indicated in other postings to this thread
also would prepare for allowing full capabilities to standalone
repositories, rather then coming up with a hack that pulls the data
from profiles.

The change over can be done pretty cleanly, and organizes stuff as it
should be, in preparation of upcoming tweaks/capabilities/whatever.

I'd rather nip this now, rather then when it starts creating problems
down the line.
~harring