On Friday 02 September 2005 06:28, Lance Albertson wrote:
> Grant Goodyear wrote:
> > Christian Parpart wrote: [Thu Sep 01 2005, 05:45:43PM CDT]
> >
> >>This just leads me to assume you're not really a coder (wrt native
> >>programming languages like C/C++), are you?
> >
> > *Grin*  This sort of condescending attitude is rarely wise when it comes
> > to dealing with Gentoo devs.  Not only does it tend to annoy people
> > (yes, I'm a tad annoyed by the presumption), but since you're still
> > relatively new here the odds are that people know the person you're
> > being condescending to better than they know you, and thus it just makes
> > you look bad if you're wrong.  Feel free to ask people what I do for a
> > living, and whether they suspect that I know the difference between a
> > 64-bit pointer and a 32-bit int.
>
> Ha! Yeah ... kids these days... just don't respect their elders like
> they should ;-). I have seen more and more 'newish' devs speaking their
> minds like this without even knowing/asking the person. I guess respect
> and tactfulness isn't being taught anymore...
>
> And yes, Grant definitely knows the difference :-)

Maybe I do not understand the diffference between "I assume" and "I know", and
"I know" I meant the first, however, in that case, Grant, I do not know why
you're requesting this combine when you know about these "issues" already.
Don't get me wrong, I am (though, I was) just curious, and really surprised
how the hell ppl (telling to be coders) can even think about such merges. It
might - of course - *somehow* still be possible, but I just do not believe
in, as I posted earlier (by example).

And just like kintaco said, there're not only ppl outside that do know why
those archs are different, there're also ppl outside that even make use of
such things on *their* main arch (x86) and do not care (or did) about 64bit
compats, in fact, most do not know that this piece of could would lead into
semantic errors on such archs anyway.

As said, don't get me wrong, I'm neither new (depends on definition!) nor am I
"missing respect". I was just sharing some by-example snippets why this is a
bad idea, and I was just "assuming" (not "know") why I said what I said.

Regards,
Christian Parpart.