On 5/9/2005 13:41:54, Jason Stubbs ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> On Monday 05 September 2005 20:21, Simon Stelling wrote:
> > Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
> > > If it isn't fit to be marked stable, it shouldn't be out of
> > > package.mask. ~arch means "candidate for going stable after more
> > > testing", not "might work".
> >
> > It's a bit of both. When you put a package into ~arch, it's in
> > "testing", so that says it needs further "testing" since there still
> > could be a not yet discovered bug, right?
>
> Testing of the ebuild rather than of the package, though. This is the
> point  where people sometimes get confused.

That'd be me then :)

So we're talking about correctness of ebuilds (correct dependencies,
use flag logic etc) and not whether the package actually works in depth.
The latter is what caused me to suggest drawing together a large team of
user-testers managed by arch-team devs.  Correctness of ebuilds takes
us back to a dev role and the ebuild quiz, since it's necessary to
understand ebuilds to criticise them.

Kev.