On Mon, 2005-09-19 at 07:28 -0500, Brian Harring wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 18, 2005 at 03:48:43PM +0000, John N. Laliberte wrote:
> > * "but you are taking away choice!" - If a program has both GTK2 and GTK3
> > interfaces, there are many ways to allow for testing of the experimental
> > interface.  For instance, package.mask with a revision number.
>
> package.mask isn't a perfect fit  from where I sit; if it's already merged
> (say for development), but the developer has masked gtk-3, all pkgs
> that prefer gtk-3 will continue linking against it till gtk-3 is
> unmerged regardless of the masking.

For an example to illustrate what John meant by using package.mask,
assuming gtk-3 is masked, and we have an appfoo with a default gtk-2
interface and an experimental gtk-3 interface.

The un-package.masked ebuilds will always build against gtk-2, as that'd
be the designated interface by the developer. By always build against, I
mean gtk-2 would be the default interface - so it'd specify
--enable-gtk2/--disable-gtk3 or explicitly not use automagic to detect
gtk-3 and always use gtk-2.

We could have a package.mask'ed appfoo-rX ebuild that builds with the
gtk-3 interface as it becomes more mature.

This is sort of an extension of "developer knows best" when choosing
which gtk+ interface to make the default.

Mike Gardiner
(Obz)