On Tue, Sep 27, 2005 at 08:27:34AM -0400, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-09-27 at 10:39 +0200, Henrik Brix Andersen wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 27, 2005 at 10:31:04AM +0200, Jan Kundr??t wrote:
> > > our documentation [1] lists syslog-ng as the "default" system logger
> > > while current profiles uses metalog (except embedded, default-macos/ppc,
> > > default-darwin and sparc32). What should be changed, Handbook or profiles?
> >
> > I think we should recommend syslog-ng over metalog, both in
> > documentation and in profiles, due to the fact that most software,
> > howtos and tutorials expect the system log to be located in
> > /var/log/messages

Most software howtos, and tutorials about init scripts don't apply to
_our_ init scripts.

Nor do any howtos/tutorials for other pkg formats, apply to _our_ pkg
manager. ;)

> Agreed.  It should be syslog-ng.  If nobody objects, I'll change it in
> base/virtuals.

Objecting, obviously ;)

Basically... why?

I'm neither advocating being different to be different, nor following
others so howtos about their stuff fit to ours.  I'm after
the underlying reasons why general users should be using syslog-ng over
metalog in contrast to the fact we've recommended metalog as long as
I've been around.  That and I happen to like metalog's layout,
strangely enough ;)

I'd rather see reasons listed as to why syslog-ng is a superior
default for users who (most likely) don't care, then "we lack
/var/log/messages" :)
~harring