On Thursday 20 October 2005 09:11, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
> Metabuilds should be forthcoming shortly. I'd appreciate input on
> http://dev.gentoo.org/~spyderous/xorg-x11/metabuilds.txt and in
> particular from people on the GNOME and KDE teams.

KDE doesn't have any special requirements. It doesn't use any kind of X11
build tool (what is there other than imake?). It does use some X apps like
xmessage, xset etc. After you commit your metaebuilds we'll update the deps
as needed. The only metaebuild we'll need to depend on is -libs.

However, consider this usecase: user (who's used to the old docs) installs new
stage3, types 'emerge kde', runs kdm... oops, no X server...

To keep the current behaviour, the kde metaebuild (and gnome and the other
WMs) would have to depend on xorg-x11, which strictly speaking is
unnecessary. Opinions? How can we educate the users to manually 'emerge
xorg-x11'? Personally I'm in favor of updating the docs, making a big
announcement on all channels, and preparing a nice bug to close duplicates
against.

We'll also need to educate them about xorg-x11 not installing fonts any
longer. The way I understood your metabuilds.txt, 'emerge xorg-x11 kde' would
result in an unusable system without any fonts at all...

--
Dan Armak
Gentoo Linux developer (KDE)