On 20/10/2005 21:16:47, Dan Armak ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> On Thursday 20 October 2005 20:58, Matthijs van der Vleuten wrote:
> > On 10/20/05, Dan Armak <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > To solve this issue it would have to be an on-by-default flag, i.e.
> > > 'noxserver'. I know some people are strongly against nofoo flags.
> >
> > What about an off-by-default 'xserver' flag?
> It wouldn't solve the problem at hand.
>
> Without any flag at all, the user needs to 'emerge xorg-x11' manually to
> get eg KDE to run locally. With an off-by-default flag, he needs to set
> it on manually, _before_ installing KDE, to get an xorg-x11 server. As
> long as he needs to do something manually, explicitly, it should just be
> an 'emerge xorg-x11', which after all is a very simple operation.

Maybe I'm being stupid, but I don't understand why a user would need to
emerge xorg-x11 manually when doing 'emerge kde'.  Surely somewhere in kde's
dependency graph the X server is called up in RDEPEND?  An X server
is clearly a run-time dependency.

Like, konqueror RDEPENDS on qt which RDEPENDS on xorg-xserver, or whatever.

Kev.