Petteri Räty wrote:
Marius Mauch wrote:

Gentoo being about choice the new package.use should come before
anything user set. I do not see any problem with this if it works in the
same way as package.mask already works. Please, enlighten me.

Because package.use is implemented in a very different way then package.mask and currently isn't stackable at all. Adding a profiles/package.use that could be overridden by make.conf would require some nasty special casing in portage, and as we all know special case code is something that should be avoided. Besides that, there would also be the question about USE=-*, should this kill profiles/package.use completely? Short version: Implementation and semantics of profiles/package.use isn't much easier than extending IUSE.

Marius