On Sat, Nov 05, 2005 at 01:58:00PM +0100, Grobian wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
<snip>
> I disagree.  A lot Gentoo users I know read gentoo-announce and the GWN.
>  For me it works quite well if I see a message with a warning on
> something.  I can quickly find it back if I am in need for it.  I would
> typically disable the whole news feature of portage and just watch the
> announce ML with all the news announcements.  Works fine for me.
>
> The GLEP *is* targetted at a certain group of people, since it is there
> mainly to help those that complained in [forum_whining] and those -- I
> think -- mostly desktop end-users to prevent them from breaking their
> system and complain with us.
>
> I broke my webserver too after the apache update.  Too bad I was stupid
> enough to 'just do it' on a webserver that should *not* have been
> offline for a while.  I just ignored the message the init.d script gave
> when it refused to stop my apache.  To cut a long story shory, I have
> solved the problem myself, knowing I was stupid for ignoring the message
> on gentoo-dev.  I never blamed the apache herd or anyone else but myself
> and just fixed it myself.  Sys-admins are supposed to try updates on a
> toy box first.  A warning is nice, documentation on how to solve it the
> best is even nicer.  Think of "knowledge books" of many commercial systems.

<snip>

Even if you don't realise that this will be a big help for many users or
you just don't think those users deserver any help (not sure which one
it is tbh) - you might at least consider the fact that only having to
push news about major / critical changes in one place is going to make
things a lot easier for devs.

Frankly, I don't see any reason not to follow through with this GLEP as
it's going to be very useful for many people and the current "system"
has shown itself to be inadequate lots of times already.

Regards,
Bryan Østergaard