On Monday 07 November 2005 19:11, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
> On Saturday 05 November 2005 06:34, Alec Warner wrote:
> > emerge --changelog has no 'official' format.  I believe echangelog
> > actually puts the changes in the correct format for emerge -l to read,
> > however not everyone uses echangelog.  Many developers commit in an
> > incompatable syntax causing the parsing to fail.  This I believe, is an
> > implementation issue.  Obviously if someone is trying to get an upgrade
> > guide to users they aren't going to commit in an incompatable format.
>
> I would also like to add that the changelog has too much information to be
> usefull as a news source. In all honesty, when I'm emerging a new version
> of a package I'm not interested in keyword bumps, small cosmetic changes,
> added auxiliary scripts or documentation. These are all documented (and
> should be) in the changelog. If I update my system however, I'm mainly
> interested in knowing whether something is going to break. News would be
> a way to provide this knowledge to a user in an as concise as possible
> way.

So what's the point of the ChangeLog again? Move load from the CVS server and
onto the rsync servers? (Don't answer that - just beating a dead horse ;)

I'm really just against having it in emerge, especially with the current
suggestion of portage just doing a little bit of maintenance work for
external tools and nothing else.

--
Jason Stubbs